Micromastia refers to a condition when a woman’s breasts are underdeveloped. Some girls feel like having a boy’s chest, and this usually results in low self-esteem or insecurity. There are plenty more psychological effects of having a flat chest in girls that many wouldn’t understand. That’s why breast implant surgery is the most performed surgery today according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. However, this surgery doesn’t have an easy recovery process. You need a good amount of time to heal to get your desired look.
Here are the things that you can expect after getting breast implants:
- Right after the surgery, you can be sent home but, you will feel extremely sore.
Feeling tired after surgery is normal, so stay in bed and don’t exert any effort until you feel much better. Take this time you need to take it easy and rest.
It’s important that you have somebody to help you out during these days. A supportive partner or a family member in the house is essential during your recovery as simple tasks such as getting up to go to the bathroom may be a challenge.
If there’s nobody to help you after surgery, might as well arrange to stay at the hospital or clinic on the first day where a nurse or an assistant is present. You will be advised to be mobile after about a day or two, but don’t engage in any strenuous activity for the first month.
- Gauze dressing can be removed one day after surgery.
The incisions will be covered with Steri-Strips, which you don’t remove. Here’s what you can do:
- You can shower after 24 hours. However, it is advised to avoid getting your incisions wet for about two weeks, so cover them well.
- Avoid getting into a bathtub or spending a long time in the shower and most especially going to the beach.
- If the Steri-Strips do get wet, make sure to pat them dry. These will eventually fall off themselves.
- You may reapply Steri-Strips or gauze dressing if necessary. Your surgeon should teach you how to take care of the wound and what cream you can use to make sure it heals properly.
- You will feel tightness on the chest area as the skin adjusts to your implants.
You will also feel numbness on your nipples and the whole breasts. This is totally normal. The swelling and the bruises will subside within a few weeks.
You need to wear a soft yet supportive surgical bra or elastic bandage to help in positioning your breasts while recovering. You may also be advised not to wear a bra at all. It all depends on the size of your new breasts. Using underwire bra is extremely prohibited.
- If you go home with drains, make sure you record the fluid you drain three times a day.
Surgical drains are used to make sure that no fluids are developing in your breasts after surgery. You will be given instructions on how to manage and care for the drains before you go home.
Keep a record of your fluid drainage and report it to your surgeon when you go back for your follow-up checkup. The amount and characteristics of the drainage will determine if the drains can be removed.
- The scars and the swelling will gradually decrease within a few weeks.
The scars will be red in the first couple of weeks and turn to purple and eventually get lighter after several months. It may take up to 18 months until the scars are almost invisible. Many skin care products and treatments can help you remove scars for good.
You will usually be advised to take one or two weeks off work to fully recuperate. Remember to go back to the surgeon on your scheduled follow-up so that your lesions are checked.
If you are planning to have a breast implant, search for the best plastic surgeons in the world. Getting implants is a risk in itself, so make sure to have them done by a top plastic surgeon only. The breast implant Lisbon has to offer is top-notch and Portuguese plastic surgeons are one of the bests in the world. Their training is extensive because the entire medical education is twelve years long before they can be members of the Portuguese Medical Board as plastic surgery specialists. You may consider this in your search. You can also do a Douro wine tour while you’re at it as Portugal is known for its best wines.
Remember, you are beautiful whatever size your “twins” are, but if you will feel much better and more confident with bigger or plumper ones, then go right ahead.