I’m a redhead, and I like it that way. I’m not going to don a fake, cheap, sweaty wig for a Halloween costume when I like my hair underneath better anyway. (“But Cailin, Halloween costumes aren’t about your identity, they’re about losing yourself!” Blah blah blah, shut up. I like being a redhead, dammit.)
With that in mind, I’ve been thinking of some awesome Halloween costume ideas for redheads like myself. Here are 56 great characters to play as a redhead for Halloween this year:
- Ariel from The Little Mermaid – classic redhead. You don’t have to wear a shell bikini; you can wear that snazzy blue number from the end or pull the old skin-colored-leotard trick.
- Variant: Hipster Ariel! You’ll need hipster glasses, natch.
- Here’s an Ariel tail we found for you.
- Lucille Ball of I Love Lucy fame. Perfect for curly reds or those with a bob.
- Jessica Rabbit. Va va VOOM. You can work it – don’t be afraid. Here’s the red gown and purple gloves for a quick fix.
- Tiffany. Oh yeah, I said it. Grab an “80s girl” costume, add a denim acid-wash jacket and tease that ginger mane.
- Ginger from Gilligan’s Island. Mee-OW. You just need a long sequined number. Bonus: it’s super easy for your boyfriend to whip up a Professor costume (sorry if he’s more of a Skipper type…)
- Wilma Flintstone. She’s proof that redheads have been hotties since the dawn of time. A tattered white one-shoulder dress and a string of pearls should do it – you don’t even have to wear shoes.
- Or Pebbles Flintstone, if your man is more of a Bam-Bam than a Fred. High pony, y’all!
- Lindsay Lohan. Just add some cornstarch around the nostrils *cough*
- Daphne from Scooby Doo! Oh, yeah – that scarf was fabulous. Now your man can play Fred and wear one too. Manly?
- Pippi Longstocking. Pigtail braids around two wires + lots of your man’s gel = perfect Pippi hair. Overalls are IN!
- Joan Harris (nee Holloway) from Mad Men. If you have the body to pull this off, you owe it to the world to squeeze it into a houndstooth pencil skirt. If you don’t, fake it with tissues.
- Wendy from Wendy’s. Yeah, I said it. The one on the sign or the cute one in the commercial who sings love songs to pretzel buns – your pick.
- Poison Ivy from Batman. C’mon, you can’t do a worse job than Uma Thurman. There are always about forty of them at any given Comicon, and they always pull off wearing only leaves way better than I ever could.
- Mystique from X-Men. You can wear a blue jumpsuit – you don’t have to rock body paint like Rebecca Romijn.
- Jessica Hamby from True Blood. She works well for real gingers who want a low maintenance costume – just add teeth.
- A “gingerbread man” (or woman). Get it? Ginger bread? Hahahaha!
- Kim Possible. Easy for the sportier chicks – it’s probably in your closet already.
- Ginger Spice. This works best if several other friends will agree to be the remaining Spice Girls… which can be tricky.
- Merida from Disney’s Brave. Best for those redheads with a mane of curls.
- Julia Roberts as Vivian Ward in Pretty Woman. If you’re not ready for that white ensemble, there’s always the red gown + a necklace box.
- Miranda from Sex And The City. A blazer + 3 girlfriends = done. Great for bobs.
- Sally from A Nightmare Before Christmas. This one’s tough, but I pulled it off last year – you can too!
- The Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland. Helena Bonham Carter version, natch.
- Misty from Pokemon. Best for fairly short red hair and skinny girls who aren’t afraid to wear Daisy Dukes out.
- Blossom from Powerpuff Girls. A bodycon pink dress, wide black belt and big red bow is all you need.
- Tawny Kitaen. Car optional, Whitesnake playing mandatory.
- Annie. Aw little Annie! Make your curls work and tap dance a little.
- Princess Fiona from Shrek. Great for an updo!
- Black Widow from The Avengers. If you can rock a pleather bodysuit like Scarlett Johansson, you really owe it to us to do so.
- Jane Jetson from The Jetsons. Retro – in space.
- Lois Griffin from Family Guy. Easy peasy!
- Molly Ringwald in The Breakfast Club as Claire Standish,
- Or in Sixteen Candles as Samantha Baker (bring me a Jake Ryan while you’re at it),
- or in Pretty in Pink as Andie Walsh. You can’t go wrong with Molly.
- Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter. Witchy woman!
- Strawberry Shortcake. The old one. The new one is pink-haired, which is only one of the annoying changes.
- Eliza Thornberry. Kid friendly too!
- Little Red Riding Hood. It’s pretty agreed that the hood is the red part, but it looks best on redheads. As most things do.
- Magenta from Rocky Horror Picture Show – make the banister lucky!
- Or Columbia, if your hair is cropped and you like gold hot pants.
- Mary Jane Parker (nee Watson) from Spiderman. Isn’t it weird that normally blonde Kirsten Dunst played ginger MJ and normally redheaded Emma Stone played blonde Gwen Stacy?
- Jessie from Toy Story. Yee-haw!
- Jean Grey from X-Men. Famke Janssen made it hot.
- Emma Pilsbury from Glee. Her style is retro-OCD-hot, so wear a statement necklace with a sweater set.
- Flo from Progressive Insurance. She’s seriously so cute and recognizable.
- Or her competitor Erin from Esurance. Arguably cuter, but she’s a cartoon, so….
- The Devil. Red hair works REALLY well for this. Eerily well. Hmm….
- Leeloo from The Fifth Element. If you’re brave, drop the orange rubberband and go straight bandages. Yowza.
- Raggedy Ann. Good luck getting your BF in an Andy costume. That’s a true act of love.
- Ygritte from Game of Thrones. Hard to spell, nice to look at.
- Dana Scully from The X-Files. Skepticism and a pantsuit. Rawr.
- Dawn. By Joseph Michael Linsner. If you don’t know, look it up.
- Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Alyson Hannigan’s finest hour.
- Amy Pond from Doctor Who. A redhead through time!
- Dottie Hinson from A League of Their Own. I’m Dottie this year!
- Or Kitt, her little sister with shorter, straighter red hair.
For a Hallow-wow, check out more looks here.
Turn up the fear factor on any decor and add a little Halloween sparkle to any costume or costume easy to fix. Want to add an easy addition to your spooky look? Add a touch of Halloween vibe to your redhead outfit with this Halloween custom lapel pin from GS-JJ.com. These creepy designs are as delicious as Halloween candy for the best boos in the world! An eye-catching lapel pin for custom. Add a lapel pin to shawl collars, hats, scarves, hair, purses, and gloves, and make these accessories even more stylish. A lapel pin will help you express yourself. Great for personal character artwork for your Halloween costumes. Also a great gift for a friend, wife, daughter, mother, or sister on Halloween.
Many of these are referenced in our article about the stupid things people say to redheads. Check it out! What are you going as this year for Halloween?
58 thoughts on “56 Cool Halloween Costume Ideas For Redheads”
These are awesome! You make me wish that I had red hair so I could pull off some of these. 🙂
A wig always helps non-redheads get there 😉
I think Jessica Rabbit would be my favourite option from all of these 🙂
Those are great! I’m thinking redheads have the best options for costumes!!
Haha these are all so awesome. I don’t work right now so I won’t be dressing up (at work …) and I don’t think we have any kids come knocking on our door this Halloween, only time will tell.
These are some cool ideas:) I just dyed my hair a copper brown color so it is slightly red. I may have to borrow one of these!
How very cool! Now I want red hair. Blonde’s don’t have more fun. 😉
I don’t know, there are lots of awesome Halloween costumes for blondes too! Maybe that’ll be my next post…
Another great option is Peggy Bundy from married with children!
I’ve done that before! Its such a fun couple costume!
I’m not a redhead, but I often wish I were…and now that I’ve seen all of these awesome costume ideas, I REALLY wish I were! 😉
This is such a GREAT list! 🙂
Hahah I am going to show this to my coworker because she is a redhead! Excellent ideas!
Wow, this is super impressive! I wouldn’t have been able to think of a list that long. I’m a fan of Lucy from I love Lucy!!! That would be a fun costume.
Yeah, I wish my hair was short enough to pull off Lucy…
i wish i was a redhead! i would definitely be ariel! 🙂 it was my favorite movie growing up.
Me too! I also loved Lady and the Tramp. Actually, Lady wouldn’t be that difficult of a costume… just two big fluffy pigtails to make ears!
What a great list! Now, to dye my hair!
I’m not a red haid but those are some great costume ideas.
I love this!! I am going to forward it to my redhead friend. She was having a hard time thinking of ideas this year.
This is awesome. I sent it to my bestie (aka http://www.GirlGetGlamorous.com) for ideas. She’ll love this.
Thanks! I’ll check out her site. 🙂
i will have to choose 29 because i love superheroes! =)
Now if only I had red hair, haha! Such great ideas!
Awesome Ideas! Thanks for sharing!
I’m no redhead, but a a red wig and one of these costume ideas might just work for me.
Love this list! I’m a redhead too, only I pay for mine to be red 😉
Ok that’s one good list! My favs are Joan Holloway, Ginger from Gilligan’s Island, and Jessica Hamby. Do you sense a trend? Now I wish I was a natural red head LOL!
What a cool list! I have a friend who will love this!
I love being a redhead! These are some great costume ideas!
I’m not a redhead but I think this is a great list! I didn’t realize there were so many redheads to dress up as. 🙂
This is awesome! I’ve always wanted to be Jessica Rabbit for Halloween but I like her curves and red hair!
co-worker let me try her chia seeds (a few times)… and I don’t know what it is, or if I’m just imaginging it – I had a lot of energy the next day, each time I took a spoonful of it on my lunch. Is that weird? Is that what it was supposed to do? lol :/
Awesome list. I don’t have red hair but I still want to be Tiffany or Ariel!
Fun list! I have black hair but am getting some red put in next week! Love red!
Pebbles Flinstone would be super cute! That’s a good one!
Don’t forget Donna Noble and Amy Pond from Doctor Who… 🙂
Oh, sorry, I missed the Amy Pond entry! But still, Donna Noble.
Or Sidney Bristow on Alias when she wore the red wigs. 🙂
What about Sansa Stark from Game of Thrones? Or on the Stark train, Iron Man Tony Stark’s GF Pepper Potts??
Emma Stone’s natural hair color is blonde. Also, its weird to compare two different versions of the Spider-Man series.
SallyField – my natural hair color is also blonde, but I’m still a redhead. And proudly weird, so that fits. 🙂
Thanks for reading!
Awesome list you’re only missing April oneil from tmnt
Don’t forget America from The Selection Series
Magneta and Flo aren’t redheads, I don’t believe.
THANK YOU! Flo was irritating me… at most she has auburn tint… but shes a straight up brunette, sometimes dyed almost black.
This year I’m going as Tami Taylor from Friday Night Lights!
These are some really good ideas!!! I Pipilotta Delicatessa windowshade longstocking a.k.a Pippy Longstocking
QUEEN ELIZABETH?? The white-faced virgin queen? I’m sure it was an oversight.
Last year I was Emma stone from Easy A in the black corset outfit!
wonderful issues altogether, you simply received a new
reader. What may you recommend in regards to
your submit that you simply made some days ago? Any positive?
Great ideas! Think I’ll try Jean Grey from xmen.. my shade of red is closer to hers and the length as well. WISH I could pull off Jessica rabbit… Maybe next year
On what planet is Flo from Progressive a redhead?
I think I’ll be number 29!!
Flo is a brunette.
You can also try:
Cheryl Blossom from Riverdale
Parallel Leela from Futurama
Delia Deetz from Beetlejuice
Red Hot (candy) girl
Fiery 50s pinup girl
Fox-y Lady (emphasis on fox)
Red dragon lady
Madam Medusa from The Rescuers (with 2 alligator plushies and a big diamond)
I forgot to add
Hayley from Paramore
Jessie from Team Rocket from Pokemon (maybe also Nurse Joy)
I was just Candace from Phineas and Ferb for a costume party and people loved it! But I do come from a younger generation of teenagers…