Most of us want whiter teeth, and celebrities seem to have the most covet-worthy smiles around. So how do stars get such brilliantly white teeth, anyway? They go to celebrity aesthetic dentist Dr. Jonathan B. Levine, whose A-list clients include Sarah Jessica Parker, Christie Brinkley, Mariska Hargitay, and Victoria’s Secret model Alessandra Ambrosio! (He also founded the revolutionary smile beauty company, GoSMILE.)
Here are some tips for a naturally white smile without expensive products or procedures from Dr. Levine himself:
- Whiten while you chew. Everyone knows that red wine and coffee stain teeth, but did you know that some foods actually whiten teeth while you eat? Apples, celery, spinach, broccoli, lettuce and carrots all remove stains by exfoliating teeth before stain molecules have time to attach to the tooth’s surface. (Yes, now we have to exfoliate our teeth too.)
- Choose the right lip color. If your teeth have a yellow cast, avoid deep dark shades or super-shiny glosses and choose nudes or pinks with blue undertones instead. If your teeth are grayish, avoid red lipstick with blue undertones and stick with a brown-based nude pink.
- Go bronze. Golden skin tones (from a bottle, not the sun!) not only give you a healthy glow, but also make the whites of eyes and teeth look brighter! Try SkinCeuticals Sans Soleil or DuWop Revolotion.
- Accessorize. Bling in gleaming silver or white rhinestones will make teeth sparkle, so choose these pieces over gold, which will exaggerate yellow tones.
- Dress to impress. A bright white shirt only draws attention to less than white teeth, so reduce the contrast with an off-white or cream shade.