Curtains in your home can greatly improve the ambiance and decor of your home. Apart from this, you can also integrate your curtains into your Home Security Systems. They improve home security by shielding the occupants of a building from unwanted prying eyes.
For this work, there are different types of curtains classified on the amount of light they allow in a room; for example, light filtering and blackout curtains. Let’s look at how the two curtains compare.
Light Filtering Curtains
As the name suggests, light-filtering curtains allow the most light into the room. Their fabric is loosely woven, and they are not heavy. When you install these curtains, you will experience a soft, warm glow of natural light evenly distributed in the room.
In addition, light filtering curtains prevent a direct view of the house’s interior from the outside during the day. However, at night, neighbours and passers-by can see inside the house when the lights are on.
Because of this, you can pair light filtering curtains with blinds or shades.
When to Use Light Filtering Curtains
- The ideal use for this curtain is when you want to enjoy natural sunlight while blocking the line of sight of people outside your house.
- They are ideal in an office setting.
- When the sunlight is a bit extreme, and you want to regulate it in your house.
- When you want to enjoy some quality television time without the annoying glow.
- These curtains can help save on electricity costs. They allow light to pass through, removing the need for turning on the lights.
Blackout curtains prevent light from entering the room completely. Their fabric material is dense and opaque; thus, no light passes through.
These curtains provide the most privacy, especially if your house is in an urban setting. However, blackout curtains can have light gaps or allow small streams of light to pass through, depending on the size of your window or how you have mounted your blackout curtain. To prevent this, pair these curtains with light gap blockers or ensure your curtains extend a bit outwards from the edge of the window.
When to Use Blackout Curtains
- When you want to watch television or use your computer screen without the light glare from outside.
- When taking a nap during the day and you prefer sleeping with no lights.
- They are also ideal for use in bedrooms where privacy is needed.
- Blackout curtains are also ideal for photography production in dark rooms.
- These curtains can also be used in cinema rooms to provide an ambiance for watching movies.
- Blackout curtains block sun rays and hence help to regulate indoor temperatures. It can have the effect of saving energy costs for air conditioning.
Final Thoughts – How Do They Compare
Light filtering and blackout curtains are privacy-enhancing, adding to your home security. In addition, you can get them in different colors depending on your taste and interior decor style.
Other times you might want to enjoy the different functionalities of both. In this case, you can install both of them on your windows. It can work to regulate light during the day and completely block light at night, allowing you efficient light control 24 hrs a day.