In colder weather, it’s tough to leave home. Finding effective workouts that you are able to easily do from home and involve little to no equipment can be a challenge. Krav Maga, an Israeli developed military self-defense system, offers numerous benefits both physically and mentally from practicing the moves and can even be learned at home. The practice provides a great cardio workout and could even save your life one day!
Ross Cascio is an expert level instructor at Krav Maga Worldwide and has a list of intense but effective workout tips that anyone is able to do in the comfort of their own home when they aren’t able to get to the gym or want to mix up their workout routine:
- Krav Maga fighting stance – Stand with your feet just a little further than your hips width apart. If you are right handed, take one step forward with your left foot…if you are left-handed take one step forward with your right foot. Keep a little bend in your knees. Keep your hands open and out in front of your face (palms away). Keep your elbows in and your chin tucked. Practice moving in your stance by always stepping with the foot closest to where you want to go, and pushing with the opposite foot.
- Krav Maga Straight Punch – From your fighting stance rotate your body so that your shoulders and hips turn and your arm drives straight out in front of you. Imagine striking the target with your top two knuckles (pointer and middle finger). Remember; when you punch involve your whole body. If your hips and shoulders aren’t turning behind the punch you aren’t making the strongest strike possible. Recoil the punch back to the original position in a straight line.
- Krav Maga Hammer Fist – From your fighting stance, rotate your hips and shoulders exactly like you would for a straight punch…instead of making the strike with your knuckles, send the bottom of your closed fist (bottom of your pinky) toward the target, as if you were going to hammer a nail into a board directly in front of you. Recoil your strike directly back to the original hand position in fighting stance.
- Krav Maga Front Kick To The Groin – From your fighting stance, drive your hips and back knee forward, then let your lower leg unfold, with foot flat and your toe pointed forward (not up) as if you were going to cut a person in half, through their groin, with the top of your foot. A flat foot provides the widest striking surface, and offers the best chance of doing damage to the target. Recoil your leg to the back position, and the original fighting stance.
- Krav Maga SPRAWL! – From your fighting stance, bend your knees until your hands can touch the ground. Supporting yourself with your hands, jump your feet back as if getting into a push up position, let your hips and your lets drop low to the ground while your head and chest stay up and you look to the ceiling or in front of you, not down. Pop up directly to your fighting stance. A sprawl is used to defend against someone grabbing your legs and lifting you off the ground or tackling you. If you drop your hips fast and explosively when someone tries to grab you around the waist, you can free yourself from the grip and smash that person down to the ground. The movement is similar to a burpee when practiced alone.
- Move around in your fighting stance, do 100 punches, 100 hammer fists, 100 front kicks, and 20 sprawls and you’ll get your heart pumping pretty well!
Doing Krav Maga moves daily will tone your muscles along with boosting your strength and stamina. Repeatedly practicing the moves will also prepare you to defend yourself against an attack, which have been occurring at a rapid rate in public places like airplanes, parks and stores.
About Krav Maga Worldwide
Founded in 1997 to promote Krav Maga throughout the United States and around the world, Krav Maga Worldwide trains and certifies instructors and licenses over 150 authorized Krav Maga Worldwide training centers in the United States, Canada, Japan, Mexico, South America, and Europe, as well as over 800 law enforcement agencies and military units. Krav Maga offers the highest caliber of instruction to thousands of people, supporting the company’s core commitment to improving and saving lives. Krav Maga Worldwide continues to develop, promote and implement self-defense and fitness programs.
One thought on “An MMA-Style Workout in Your Living Room”
i don’t have any interest in kicking in someone groing but still i am reading this and in like halfway of the post i’m like wow why am here 😀 very well done with amzing tricks but you know its a whole life to dedicate to this karate thing and who have time for that ? for me as self defense a lady gun or a pepper spray is fine.
xoxo big love