Like most people, I’d like to have whiter teeth, and I’m willing to go to some extreme lengths to get them. I tried out Rembrandt’s 2-Hour Whitening Kit this weekend to brighten my smile at home. The kit includes 8 ampoules of whitening gel for 4 applications to upper and lower teeth. Here’s how it’s done:
- Spread the whitening gel onto the molds, preferably closest to where the front of your teeth will be.
- Put the molds on your teeth and wait 20 minutes.
- After twenty minutes, run to the sink and rinse your mouth out. Rinse the molds of any leftover whitening gunk.
- Wait ten minutes while your poor gums calm down. Go stare in the mirror every 30 seconds to see if your teeth look whiter yet.
- Repeat 4 times for a total of two hours.
I experienced several personal revelations through this experience, the first of which was that I do not deal well with having gunky solutions and teeth molds in my mouth. The kit comes with two pieces of plastic which you soften in hot water, then fit to the shape of your teeth so that the whitening solution hits all the right places. I had a momentary flashback to a horrifying orthodontist appointment in which I threw up when having impressions made for my braces. Ew. I buckled down, held strong, and made my molds – and am happy to report that I did not vomit this time. Yay!
My gums were somewhat irritated by the procedure, and I found myself drooling and wanting badly to remove the trays at about the 17-minute mark into each application. It was worth it, though: after the first application, I thought I noticed results; after the second, my teeth were definitely whiter. The end result was whiter than I recall having seen my teeth in a long time. Overall, I thought this kit was a great and affordable alternative to expensive whitening treatments at the dentist’s office. Its results were far greater than any other at-home whitening product I’ve tried.
The verdict: 7 out of 10!
Rembrandt 2-Hour Whitening Kit sells at Amazon for $17.59.