Looking for ideas on how to decorate your house this Halloween? Gone are the days of being limited to tired old Halloween themes – just like your costumes have matured beyond witch and cat to more topical, creative garb, your house can level up its decor game too. Here are some fun ideas for decor themes inspired by recent trends for your home this Halloween that you’ll be proud to drive by each night – as a bonus, coordinate your/your family’s costumes too!
- Stranger Things: why wouldn’t the most hyped spooky show of Netflix deserve an homage in your driveway? People costumes are easy – hit the thrift store and grab some striped shirts and corduroy pants. Get creative with Christmas lights on the side of the house a la Will Byer’s living room – you can even replace the alphabet with “HAPPY HALLOWEEN” or “TRICK OR TREAT”. A cutout of a Demogorgon in black construction paper on the window and you’ve got a highly affordable start to this theme!
- Nope/Aliens: Jordan Peele’s latest foray into bone-chilling terror is far from the only time the extraterrestrial has scared the bejeezus out of us, but it may have flying saucers the topic of many a recent nightmare. Do Nope directly with cowboy hats and whistling wind sounds, or just evoke aliens in general with low green lights in the front yard and The X-Files theme on the boombox.
- The Witcher/Dark fantasy: hear me out – we’ve got a deluge of fantasy shows airing these days, and this one in particular illustrates how fantasy can have a scary edge. (The Bruxa had me closer to peeing my pants than The Nun ever did.) The Witcher has some terrifying creatures who draw inspiration from real life horror legends – you could create a cool silhouette of the Leshen (who echoes the fabled Wendigo) or Voleth Meir/the Deathless Mother’s hut (like the Baba Yaga) – and a Yennefer costume is easy enough with a goth witch aesthetic. Plus, you have a great excuse to dress the hubby up as Geralt … Yummy!
There’s more to be done here if you’re a creative type as well. Lord of the Rings is back with Rings of Power and Game of Thrones is hoping to see redemption from its disastrous Season 8 and series finale with House of the Dragon – if you don’t think those dragons or the Balrog aren’t terrifying, you’re not looking hard enough. Channel your inner elf girl or Targaryen and create a long table with a creepy feast fit for a king (think as described in “Hotel California”) to set the mood.
- Witchy Aesthetic: while the witchy aesthetic saw its true hey in 2021, it’s still alive and kicking. Channel your gothiest urges, put on a black dress, decorate with moon phases, crows and crystal skulls. It’s not just on WitchTok anymore to hex the moon – and speaking of magical teen sorceresses…
- Riverdale: Who would have thought that a show about Archie comics would turn into a supernatural horror phenom? Whatever your feelings about CW show quality, Riverdale is instantly recognizable and has some great dark themes to add to your All Hallows Eve.
Are you thinking outside the box this Halloween? Share your ideas below!